Medical Informatics and Decision Management
Health information technology (HIT) has become a central part of virtually every health care organization. Health care leaders must understand the capabilities and limitations of HIT and how to use this science effectively. This module introduces these fundamental principles with a primary focus on clinical applications and how HIT can improve the quality of and patient satisfaction with health care.
HIT also plays a critical role in crafting organizational and clinical decisions based on robust data and information. Decision science and evidence-based management must be part of the skill set of every health care leader.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Assess informatics strategy design, development and deployment for effective and efficient health care delivery.
- Discuss how to align informatics strategy, resources, people, processes and projects with a focus on cost, quality and delivery outcomes.
- Apply change management strategies in support of the health care delivery system’s mission and goals.
- Identify best practices in applying health informatics capabilities to facilitate health data exchange and interoperability.
- Synthesize informatics challenges associated with quality, patient safety and health care delivery performance.
Take the Next Step
Are you ready to advance your career in health informatics? To take the next step toward earning your online M.S. in Management of Health Informatics and Analytics from GW, request more information today.